Bringing you the “Espresso Backup”!
Barman allows your company to implement disaster recovery solutions for PostgreSQL databases with high requirements of business continuity. Taking an online hot backup of PostgreSQL is now as easy as ordering a good espresso coffee.
Barman (Backup and Recovery Manager) is an open-source administration tool for disaster recovery of PostgreSQL servers written in Python.
It allows your organisation to perform remote backups of multiple servers in business critical environments and help DBAs during the recovery phase.
Most wanted features
Barman most wanted features include backup catalogs, retention policies, remote recovery, archiving and compression of WAL files and backups.
Barman is written and mantained by PostgreSQL professionals 2ndQuadrant.
Features & Goals
The main features and goals of Barman are:
- Full hot physical backup of a PostgreSQL server
- Management of multiple PostgreSQL servers
- Remote and local recovery of a backup for a PostgreSQL server
- ssh support for remote operations
- Server status and information
- Compression of WAL files (bzip2, gzip or custom)
- Integration with standard archiving tools (e.g. tar)
- Pre/Post backup hook scripts
- Local storage of metadata
- A simple INI configuration file
- Point-In-Time-Recovery (PITR)
- Remote backup of a PostgreSQL server
- Management of base backups and WAL files through a catalog
- Totally written in Python
- Relocation of PGDATA and tablespaces at recovery time
- General and disk usage information of backups
- Server diagnostics for backup
- rsync over ssh support for file synchronisation and transfers